October 28, 2007

Grisham's work inspires me to write

I've been reading John Grisham's novels for some years now and have come to admire his style of writing. On my reading list, I have: The Client (1993), The Street Lawyer (1998), The Brethren (2000) The Summons (2002),and The Last Juror (2004). That's not really bad for a dude who does more of writing than reading:-), even if I wish I could devote more time to reading all of his 20 books to date.

Recently, I started reading The Broker (2005), his most recent legal-thriller. In this book, Grisham tells a story of Joel Backman, a notorious Washington power broker who has spent the last six years in solitary confinement at a Federal Prison. In his power broker days, Backman it seemed, may have obtained secrets that compromise the world’s most sophisticated satellite surveillance system and was seen as dangerous to national security.


With enormous pressure from the CIA, the outgoing President of the United States pardons Backman and within hours he is quietly smuggled out of the country in a military cargo plane, given a new name, a new identity, and a new home in Italy. Eventually, after he has settled into his new life, the CIA leaks his whereabouts to the Israelis, the Russians, the Chinese, and the Saudis.

With it's twists and turns, the book leaves the reader wondering who really will kill Backman. Reading this book has given me an idea of a good story to develop and I've been working my brain for results:-)

A compelling read!

Find This book at Biblio.com

No comments: